*Library service update - September 2021*
The Library would like to inform all students of changes made to the Library service across all three centres with access restrictions now lifted.
- Access and study: We now allow provision for individual study, however we are unable to accomodate groups. The layout of the Libraries has been altered to reflect these changes with individual study spaces across all centres.
- Desk screens: Screens were installed last year to protect all students and staff. Please continue to stand behind the screen when at the issue desk and remember to keep your face covered with a mask at all times.
- Contactless payments: The Library centres will still continue to sell small amounts of stationery but items can only be purchased via contactless card payments, in line with other areas of the College.
- Library website: The Library website became a vital part of the Library service throughout periods of college closure and continues to be an excellent resource for your studies. As you can see the Library has refreshed its website to make it more user friendly and includes a collection of useful subject guides, bringing together all types of resources for your course.
- Library resources: Physical resources such as books and DVDs are available to borrow, in person from the Library. We now allow students to browse the shelves, however our Click and Collect service is still available if you wish to reserve an item in advance. Click here to view what is available on the Online Library catalogue. Requests for resources can be made via the Online Request Form. Alternatively you can phone or email us. Click here for contact details for all Library centres.
- Online resources: The Library has access to a large collection of eBooks across two platforms. These include a number of popular course textbooks so we encourage you to check whether the titles you would like to read are available digitally. What's more - these can be accessed 24/7 from home and means no lugging heavy books around! Click here for more information on the Library's eBook collections.
- Support with your studies: There is an extensive collection of ready-made sessions to support you. Click here to view useful resources offering help with topics such as essay writing, referencing, presentation skills and much more. We encourage students to use these resources as they are incredibly informative however please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like further or more specific help with your studies.
- Schemes and competitions: The Library will continue to run a number of schemes and competitions throughout the year, including Word Detective, Maths Magician, Reading Ahead and various literary and art competitions. Please keep checking our latest news section for updates.
- Induction: There are no physical inductions this year, please click here to view a short Library induction video
Library Frequently Asked Questions
What can the Library offer Northampton College Students?
There is a wealth of resources available in the Library - thousands of books, DVDs and online resources such as e-books. Click here to view the Library's induction video.
What do I need in order to access the Library resources?
Your student ID card also acts as your Library card. This will enable you to borrow books. There is currently restricted physical access to the Library centres so please search our catalogue for resources and request them here
How long can I borrow books for?
All items are currently available for four weeks.
How do I log on to my College computer account?
You need to type in your student username which is the number on your student ID card. You will then need to type in a password. You will need to create this password when you first log on. If you forget your password, a member of Library staff can reset it for you at the desk.
How do I print?
You will need to send your work to the 'FollowMePrinter'. You will then be required to release your prints by scanning your student card. The cost for printing will be deducted from your allocated amount of £20 added to your card at the start of the year. Colour printing is available at Lower Mounts and Daventry at a cost of 6p a sheet. Colour printing at Booth Lane is available from the Print Room (Ro19)
Is there someone I can talk to about help with my studies?
Learning Facilitators may be able to help you! Find out more about what they can offer here.
Can I eat in the Library?
We do not allow eating or drinking in the Library except for bottled water.